Sections

ideals
Business Essentials for Professionals

Huawei To Ask For Clarification From New Zealand After Rejection Of Its 5FG Bid


11/29/2018


Huawei To Ask For Clarification From New Zealand After Rejection Of Its 5FG Bid
Following the rejection of the telecommunication industry’s first request for using 5G mobile network planned to be supplied by the Chinese technology company Huawei Technologies Co Ltd in New Zealand by the country’s intelligence agency, the Chinese firm announced it would seek clarifications on the reasons for the rejection. 
 
Earlier in the week, the Government Communication Security Bureau (GCSB) of New Zealand had rejected the application citing reasons of threat to national security. Huawei said that is had not been able to formally get in touch with the GCSB. The proposal for the 5G network was made by telecoms operator Spark New Zealand which wanted to use telecom equipment supplied to them by Huawei for the building of its 5G network.
 
 “Huawei is seeking an urgent meeting with the relevant ministers and officials to understand the government’s position and get clarification of the process from here,” Huawei’s New Zealand deputy managing director Andrew Bowater told the media through an emailed statement on Thursday.
 
The allegations that entry of Huawei into the New Zealand market would be a threat for the local business has been rejected by the Chinese company and added that Huawei had not been informed or given any evidence of any wrongdoing on its part.
 
“Huawei would welcome the opportunity to actively address any concerns and work together to find a way forward,” Bowater said.
 
A number of countries and authorities in the West have increasingly grown suspicious about the Chinese company over allegations of any possibility of the involvement of the Chinese government in the fifth-generation mobile and other communications networks equipment that are supplied by it throughout the world. But Huawei has repeatedly refuted nay allegations of the involvement of the Chinese state in its business affairs.
 
In order mitigate the security risk, Spark and the agency could work together, Intelligence services minister Andrew Little had said on Wednesday while announcing the rejection of the application. Spark is the first telecom company to make a proposal for the country’s first 5G mobile network construction. Little however did not specify any details about the security concerns because they were classified information.
 
Huawei is not a new entrant in the New Zealand telecom scenario and has been operating in the country since 2005 and engaged in offering of telecom equipment for 4G mobile system network in the country. The company had also participated in test running of the 5G technology in New Zealand in partnership with Spark.
 
“Huawei..has always worked in good faith with the government and other industry players,” Bowater said.
 
The security concerns with respect to 5G networks are significantly different from the older generation of networks, Little and intelligence officials have said because the inherent nature of the network makes is difficult to limit such vendors that are considered to be high risk from moving past the less sensitive parts of a 5G network.
 
(Source:www.reuters.com)